When good people get in trouble.

816.524.8718Make a Payment

Your Legal Resource

Miller & Terry Attorneys at Law take the time to understand your case before determining the best course of action. Keeping current on new laws & regulations ensures your attorney has most prevalent knowledge of the law combined with years of experience to win your case.

October 01, 2015

Workers' Compensation 101: 4 Types of Repayment

Category: Personal Injury, Uncategorized, Workers' Compensation | Tags: , ,

Posted by

Each workplace has an important duty to its employees to provide a safe and healthy work environment. However, accidents inevitably do happen. When an employee is injured in the workplace, whether it is due to unsafe work practices or it is simply an accident, the employee has the right to receive compensation for any injuries. There are several different types of compensation that workers can receive after a workplace injury or accident. Read on to learn more about the four types of workers’ compensation so that if you find yourself in a similar situation, you’ll know what help you are entitled to.

Initial Medical Care

Compensation for medical care is called for when a workplace accident or injury requires hospital and other medical expenses.This can include hospital stays, doctor visits, medication, and surgeries. Additionally, if the injury requires special equipment, like a wheelchair, workers’ compensation often is able to cover those expenses as well. Sometimes psychological care in the form of counseling in included in the treatments that are covered by workers’ compensation. However, each state’s laws are different, so it is important to discuss your case with an attorney who can advise you on your rights to compensation.

Ongoing Rehabilitation

Sometimes work injuries require help beyond initial medication or doctor visits. Often injuries result in ongoing physical problems that require rehabilitation for a period of time before you are able to return to work. This may mean sessions of physical therapy or other care necessary to help you regain the skills you need to be able to go back to work. Rehabilitation compensation can include payment for evaluations, physical therapy, and retraining.

Disability Support

Serious work injuries sometimes result in temporary or permanent disability. Disabilities can prevent previously able workers from being able to perform the same work, or any work at all. Loss of work results in loss of wages, making it difficult to support yourself or your family. Most injured workers face only a temporary disability, meaning that they will be able to return to work after a period of healing. However, some individuals face permanent disabilities that affect their ability to work for the rest of their lives. Whether a disability is temporary or permanent, you have the right to compensation for lost wages. In most cases, you will receive benefits based on the amount you earned at your job before the injury occurred. A workers’ compensation attorney can help ensure that you receive the full benefits that you are entitled to so that you can continue to support yourself and your family.

In Cases of Death

In the case of the death of a loved one, your family may be entitled to workers’ compensation if you were financially dependent on that individual. The state will pay benefits to help make up for the loss of income and to help pay for burial and funeral arrangements. The question of who is entitled to these benefits differs from state to state. Typically the children and spouse of the deceased are entitled to this form of benefits. However, benefits for unmarried individuals and stepchildren differ from state to state. For help figuring out what benefits you may be entitled to, contact an experienced attorney who can explain your state’s policies and help you get the workers’ compensation you deserve.

Legal Help from a Workers’ Compensation Attorney

Daniel C. Miller is a workers’ compensation attorney in the Kansas City area with more than 25 years of legal experience. Contact our office today at (816) 875-0470 to learn more about how we can help you.