When good people get in trouble.

816.524.8718Make a Payment

Your Legal Resource

Miller & Terry Attorneys at Law take the time to understand your case before determining the best course of action. Keeping current on new laws & regulations ensures your attorney has most prevalent knowledge of the law combined with years of experience to win your case.

October 28, 2016

The Consequences of Damaging City Property

Category: Property Damage, Uncategorized | Tags: , ,

Posted by

We are pretty aware of what happens after you crash into a person, car or private property. What is the protocol when you damage city property, either accidentally or intentionally, and what are the costs that can be incurred?

What Your Insurance Does

So you damaged city property, but it was in the middle of the night and so you drove away thinking it was no big deal. Well there were street cameras and the city has sent you a stern letter telling you to pay up. You are required to have property damage liability insurance for this kind of situation. But if you don’t have enough coverage then you will have to pay out of pocket. Penalties for not paying in Kansas can mean seizure of driver’s license and income tax refund.

What the Damage Costs

Depending on your insurance coverage, you may have to pay out-of-pocket. Most damage costs are under $1,000, these are for signs, orange barrels, fences and concrete barriers. The higher the replacement costs, the more the labor costs add up, especially if a crew has to work overnight or in a tight time frame. These costs can vary based on item production costs and availability.

  • Traffic Signal: around $3,000, this is for the basic signal, newer more elaborate ones can cost $100,000.
  • Street Light: around $5,000, this is the price for the light itself as well as the concrete and labor.
  • Electronic Message Sign: just for the sign the cost is from $50,000 to $150,000, factoring in labor will raise the price.

You May Need a Lawyer

If you were linked to any other damage of city property, like theft or graffiti, then you might face more serious penalties as well as cost to fix or replace the property. Criminal defense and misdemeanors might require you to get a lawyer.

If you have questions about property damage or need legal assistance in Missouri or Kansas, Daniel Miller can help. Call us today, or fill out our online contact form.