When good people get in trouble.

816.524.8718Make a Payment

Your Legal Resource

Miller & Terry Attorneys at Law take the time to understand your case before determining the best course of action. Keeping current on new laws & regulations ensures your attorney has most prevalent knowledge of the law combined with years of experience to win your case.

July 12, 2018

Ask a Lawyer: What Do I Do if I Get a Speeding Ticket?

Category: Driving Law, Driving Safety, Speeding Ticket | Tags: , , ,

Posted by

Oh no! You’ve just received a speeding ticket or another moving violation citation. Whether it’s your first ticket or you’ve been stopped previously, getting pulled over is always unfortunate. The Miller & Terry team have answered some concerns that commonly follow getting a speeding ticket. 

Speeding Ticket FAQ

Do I need to sign the ticket?

It doesn’t usually matter. Some police officers in some areas won’t like it if you don’t sign and require you to post a bond. Usually, it doesn’t affect the outcome of your case if you do or do not sign your speeding ticket. Not signing is not admitting your guilt, but what you do after is important to the future of your license.

Can I just mail in my fine?

You can mail in your fine and other speeding ticket costs, but it will result in a moving violation and points on your record. This is bad news for the future of your driver’s license. Your license can be suspended if you get eighteen points in 18 months. Getting twelve points in 12 months will cause your license to be revoked. Wave goodbye to discounted insurance rates.

I forgot about my ticket and the court date! What do I do?

Your license could be suspended for failing to appear (FTA). The jurisdiction where you got your ticket may send you a letter with one more chance to appear, but that’s the best-case scenario. Most cases will result in an issued  “failure to appear” warrant. If you posted bond, that bond could be renounced for failure to appear. The Department of Revenue will suspend your license in a worst-case scenario. Any officer that pulls you over in the future will soon discover that you have a suspended license.

Can I fix the mistake by just mailing in all the fines?

Yes, but it’s not recommended. Your license can be revoked if you pay the fine without addressing the other problems. Driving with a suspended license in Missouri is a 12 point offense. Driving with a suspended license in Kansas can result in greater fines, an extended suspension, or jail time.
Familiarize yourself with the laws and processes surrounding speeding tickets in Kansas and Missouri. Don’t let yourself make a mistake that will jeopardize your driving future. Consult a lawyer as soon as possible if you find yourself in serious trouble after getting a speeding ticket.

If you or someone you know is looking for legal advice, contact Miller & Terry today! Call our Kansas office at (913) 624-9646 or our Missouri office at (816) 875-0470.